visions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paranormal investigation team

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
For the latest news follow Visions Paranormal Support Group on Facebook
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Palace Theatre, Plymouth
Dinton Castle (Folly) EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 1:48 pm by Ian

» Cybernatural Occurrence
Dinton Castle (Folly) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm by medea

» computer ghosts
Dinton Castle (Folly) EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 pm by Ian

» Possible full bodied apparition at the dower house.
Dinton Castle (Folly) EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 6:30 pm by Nightcrawler

» Matrixing piccys
Dinton Castle (Folly) EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 pm by Nightcrawler

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

Dinton Castle (Folly)

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Dinton Castle (Folly) Empty
PostSubject: Dinton Castle (Folly)   Dinton Castle (Folly) EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Dinton Castle or Folly

Close to the large town of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire close to the turning of the A418 Dinton. A local built folly from Portland limestone with large ammonites as decoration. Archaeologically interesting for its (excavated) Saxon burial ground. The folly an imitation of a castle structure was built in 1769 and was designed to be seen from Dinton Hall. It is an octagonal plan with circular towers east & west. it was two storeys, with the towers reaching to 3 storeys. The building stones of the folly walls are composed of locally sourced Portland formation. They are mainly the creamy limestone of the Portland stone member. There are also minor sandstone blocks in the structure.

Despite its appearance Dinton Castle is not a medieval ruined castle but was in fact an 18th century folly. It was built by Sir John Hatten in 1743 to house his fossil collection. Today it is said to be haunted by Simon Mayne (Dinton Hermit). Who was once secretary to Oliver Cromwel. Mayne fell foul of King Charles 11 at the Restoration and was stripped of his wealth. He died a broken man and now it seems his ghost seeks shelter within the crumbling walls of Dinton Folly

Now this place is open to the public and we wouldn't need to ask anyone if we could do an investigation there so this one is a freebie and we could do it any time when the weather gets better there is parking for 4/5 cars on the lane leading up to the gate I could go along and do some checks on this location first if this helps? I live about 45 mins away.

Dinton Castle (Folly) Dinton12

Dinton Castle (Folly) Dinton11

Dinton Castle (Folly) Dinton12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dinton Castle (Folly)   Dinton Castle (Folly) EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 3:02 pm

I really like this place Phil...

Great history and location.

If you can get some more info on it that would be great. I think we should plan this one in May when it gets warmer.
We need to know about the local traffic noise, flight paths, electrical pylons, underground power-lines if possible, and also what is in the vicinity in terms of houses, farms, buildings, and the land use..

Great find mate.

Lets all do some research on the hauntings myths and legends...
Back to top Go down
Ian
Administrator, Founder & Lead Investigator
Ian

Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Dinton Castle (Folly)   Dinton Castle (Folly) EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 8:39 am

Hi Guys

looks like a nice one that , i'm pretty sure that one of our previous members told us about this one , but nothing ever came of it , i see you have allready researched it and come up with some interesting stuff about it .

good one Phil

greets
ian
Back to top Go down
https://visionsinvestigation.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Dinton Castle (Folly)   Dinton Castle (Folly) EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Thank you to Phil for taking this video during his initial visit to the folly.

I uploaded it to You Tube last night so we could all see just what he experienced.