Paranormal investigation team
 
HomePortalRegisterLog in
For the latest news follow Visions Paranormal Support Group on Facebook
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Palace Theatre, Plymouth
Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:48 pm by Ian

» Cybernatural Occurrence
Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm by medea

» computer ghosts
Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 pm by Ian

» Possible full bodied apparition at the dower house.
Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:30 pm by Nightcrawler

» Matrixing piccys
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 pm by Nightcrawler

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum
 
Affiliates
free forum
 

Share | 
 

 Rougemont Castle - Courthouse - Exeter

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Rougemont Castle - Courthouse - Exeter   Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:41 am

Rougemont Castle - Courthouse

The Castle of Exeter stands atop the highest part of the city, within the north-east angle of the city walls. From the reddish colour of the volcanic rock on which it stood, it became known locally as Rougemont Castle.

When Richard III. visited it in 1413, he commended it highly, both for its strength and beauty of situation; but on being told it was called Rougemont, he mistook the name for Richmond and suddenly grew sad, saying that the end of his days approached; a prophecy having declared that he would not long survive the sight of Richmond.

After its surrender to General Fairfax, in 1646, this once formidable castle ceased to be a military fortress, and although most of it's its towers and battlements remain, the impact of this magnificent structure is hidden behind the undergrowth of the surrounding park and gardens. It is today best viewed from within the castle yard.

There are now but few remains of the very early buildings within the walls, its site being mostly occupied by the former Devon Assize Hall and Sessions House; but the lofty entrance gatehouse, with a circular arch, is still to be seen from Castle St and Rougemont Gardens, formed on the site of the castle fosse, and commanding delightful prospects. There are still extensive remains of the boundary walls of the castle enclosure and early towers to East and West.
Exeter Castle in its glory in the Middle Ages.



The first building worthy of the name of castle is recorded to have been built by King Athelstan, and is said to have been destroyed by the Danes in 1003.

In 1068 William the Conquerer, selected Rougemont as the site of a larger and more strongly fortified castle than had ever existed at Exeter. William had laid seige to Exeter after the city refused to surrender his forces. The superintendence of the Castle's construction, and its future custody was given to Baldwin de Moles or de Brionus, the husband of his niece Albreda. Baldwin was at the same time made heriditary sheriff of Devonshire, and after completing the castle, it became his place of residence. His son Richard died without issue, and this castle was granted to Richard de Redvers or Rivers, who had married a daughter of Baldwin de Moles, and was created Earl of Devon by Henry I.

In 1232, Exeter Castle, as well as many others, was seized by Henry III, who gave it to his younger brother, Richard, Earl of Cornwall. In 1286, Edward I. granted it to Matthew Fitzjohn for life; but it continued nevertheless, chiefly in the Earls of Cornwall; and, in 1337, when Edward, the eldest son of King Edward III. was created Duke of Cornwall, this castle, with a small district adjoining, was made part of the duchy, which has been ever since vested in the heir apparent to the Crown, who becomes Duke of Cornwall immediately after his birth, and who has always been created Prince of Wales. In 1397, there being then no Duke of Cornwall, Richard II. made John Holland, the first Duke of Exeter, governor of this Castle, in which he is said to have had a fine mansion.

In 1711, an act of parliament was passed, enabling Queen Anne to grant a lease of Exeter Castle for 99 years, for the use of the county of Devon. It is probable that the castle had been used for county purposes long before that period; indeed the gaol is said to have been removed there from Bicton, in 1518.

Within these ancient walls, much of the original structure of the Devon County Court was erected in 1774, but has undergone frequent alterations and some enlargements, to make it suitable for the augmented business of the county. It is faced with Portland stone, and contains a number of courts.

The castle is now in private hands and the aim of the new owners is to create a vibrant hub of art, music, food and drink, open to the public for the next thousand years!

In addition the castle was the site of the last hangings for witchcraft in the UK following the Bideford witch trials.

There is a comemorative plaque on the gate house wall.

Whilst now in private hands none of the plans have actually happened yet - so maybe in this transitional period they might welcome in the team?
Back to top Go down
 
Rougemont Castle - Courthouse - Exeter
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» CASTLE or Palace/HOUSE - anyone?
» Chapter 2 Hall Boy at Sudeley Castle (part 1)
» Chapter 2 Hall Boy at Sudeley Castle (part 3)
» SENNELAGER MUSEUM
» FOD Dulmen

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
visions  :: Ghost Talk :: Possible Locations-
Jump to: