Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Palace Theatre, Plymouth
Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:48 pm by Ian

» Cybernatural Occurrence
Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm by medea

» computer ghosts
Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 pm by Ian

» Possible full bodied apparition at the dower house.
Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:30 pm by Nightcrawler

» Matrixing piccys
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 pm by Nightcrawler

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

pendle hill (witches)

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: pendle hill (witches)   Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:03 pm

i've been thinking of doing this location at some point, prob wait till the summer now though.

i found this little write up interesting and decided to share.

Local magistrates, conducted ruthless witch-hunts in 1612 in the hope that they would find favour with King James who lived in fear of Catholic rebellion having survived the Gunpowder Plot of 1605. One of these hunts resulted in the arresting of Alizon Device in Pendle, Lancashire.

The crime she was accused of was setting a curse on a pedlar and paralysing him. She confessed, and incriminated two other women, named Demdike and Chattox.

Investigations at Demdike's home, Malkin Tower, revealed human bones and clay figures of people who had mysteriously died in recent years.

The magistrate continued their witch-hunt arresting, eleven women in total and then imprisoned at Lancaster Castle where on 17th August 1612 ten of them were tried and publicly hanged three days later.

Alizon Device, Elizabeth Device, James Device, Anne Whittle, alias Chattox, Anne Redferne, Alice Nutter, Katherine Hewitt, John Bulcock, Jane Bulcock & Isobel Robey were the ten hanged at Lancaster gaol.

Elizabeth Southerns, alias Demdike, died in Lancaster Gaol awaiting trial, but was nevertheless considered to be a witch on the basis of evidence already gathered. Jennet Preston, who lived just over the Lancashire border, was tried in Yorkshire and hanged at York in 1612. Finally, Magaret Pearson was found guilty of witchcraft at Lancaster, but not murder, and received a sentence of one years imprisonment.

In their mass these people made up the famous thirteen Pendle Witches.

The Pendle Witches were accused of selling their souls to evil spirits or devils in return for the power to kill or injure who ever they pleased.

The usual method of murder, described in Demdike's confession to magistrates, was to make an ethigy of the intended victim, known as a 'picture of clay'. The image was then crumbled or burned over a period of time, causing the victim to fall ill and slowly die.

The family at the centre of the witchcraft allegations and the ring leaders of the Pendle Witches: Alizon Device, James Device, Elizabeth Device and Demdike lived at Malkin Tower. Demdike, who was in here eighties, was the head of the family and was believed to be one of the most powerful witches in Britain. It is here that bones and other vital evidence was found to incriminate the Device family.

Magistrates were baffled that the witches were so eager to incriminate each other when questioned, but it then came to light that Demdike had once been a close friend of Chattox, but they fell out and then feuded bitterly. It is believed that this is why the two families incriminated each other. In addition to this when Demdike died in gaol, Chattox changed here story, claiming Demdike was responsible for inticing here into witchcraft.

The Pendle Witches are said to haunt the buildings, landscapes and historic villages in the shadow of Pendle Hill such as Newchurch, home of St. Mary's Church, from where Demdike was thought to have stolen human bones.

A sinister feeling and anger is often felt by visitors and many local refuse to discuss the goings on for fear of their own safety.

Recently, a televsion crew investigated the area surrounding Pendle Hill in a live experiment, broadcast on LivingTV. The "Most Haunted" team included presenter Yvette Fielding and Spiritual Medium Derek Acorah.

Findings were staggering with practically all the members of the crew being hurt, taken over or almost strangled during the investigation when the team had made contact with Elizabeth Device who told them there were nine other spirits in the room, who were all trying to make the team leave.

i also found this regarding the investigation the most haunted team did it basically highlights some mistakes they did causing some speculation that it my have been heated up for the tv heres the link..

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/isil.telemnar/Doublexposure/MHL_pendle_hill.htm

anyone else done this site yet? if so give me a shout

peace john
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pendle hill (witches)   Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Hiya Triplow,

Yes i saw this on most haunted too with the screaming n shouting evette n showman derek, was quite a good entertaining programme though as per usual a little over the top, but u know what they r like you have to sieve through what is real and what is put on for public entertainment. Pendle Hill has also been shown on documentary channel n has a reputation for much spirit activity. I think in the summer (for obvious reasons) this would be a good location to visit, a long way for some to travel im aware ,but i think it would be worth it for the experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pendle hill (witches)   Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:42 pm

well triplow yes this would be good but recent stuff i have seen, questions the validity of this tale as urban myth, so i would be willing to accompany you if you can pick me up as i havent transport.we could do this one if ok with team ans see what we get.anyway got to survuive winter dude yet-lol cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pendle hill (witches)   Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Gail let me know when n if u n triplow doing this, i would be interested in coming up, but think ur right alot of urban myth too..... see what others say....could go up on sat in minibus n b back sun dosnt have to be full weekend does it? n we all kip at your lol

daisy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pendle hill (witches)   Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:36 pm

it would depend on lots of things daisy, it may be like willowbog a right hike so my leg/ticker and your lungs wont do it mate lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pendle hill (witches)   Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 pm

yeah no problem man, sounds good, tbh DM if you wanna join me on locations in the area over the winter months that wont be much trek, your welcome to

what part of northumberland are you from? pm me if you dont want to air it on the net..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pendle hill (witches)   

Back to top Go down

pendle hill (witches)
Page 1 of 1