visions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paranormal investigation team

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
For the latest news follow Visions Paranormal Support Group on Facebook
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Palace Theatre, Plymouth
Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 1:48 pm by Ian

» Cybernatural Occurrence
Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm by medea

» computer ghosts
Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 pm by Ian

» Possible full bodied apparition at the dower house.
Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 6:30 pm by Nightcrawler

» Matrixing piccys
Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 pm by Nightcrawler

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

Paranormal Entity Movie

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranormal Entity Movie   Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Robb - (and I realise this probably isn't a question with a quick answer) what don't you like about Richard Dawkins?
Back to top Go down
Robb
Technical Manager & Investigator
Robb

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Paranormal Entity Movie   Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 8:42 pm

I have read 'The God Delusion' and watched 'Root of all Evil' etc, I myself used to be an athiest, and my dad is a big fan of his. The problem I have with Dawkins is that he opposes the concept of God with the same fanaticism that those who oppose atheism posess. He is essentially a fanatical athiest, the polar oppisite of a hard-line Christian or Muslim. Half of what he says is very scientifically profound and compelling, the other half is actually vicious, condescending bile, aimed directly at anybody who disagrees with his version of the 'truth'.

Being so vehement and aggressive about you're personal beliefs (and despite anything he might say, he does hold beliefs, he's human and spends half his life arguing a point of view) clouds proper judgement. In order to find the truth you must be totally impartial.

I don't trust Dawkins any more than I would trust David Koresh!

Although religion has caused immense suffering in the world throughout history, faith has also made the lifes of billions worth living, given people the hope to carry on and in many cases reinforce the more positive qualities of human nature.

And what about Athiest countries like Stalinist Russia? A country where up to 20,000,000 were effectively murdered by the state? Or Mao Zedong's regime in China, up to 40,000,000 dead?

Not suggesting that Dawkins is a mass murderer in the making, far from it, only that his 'Root of all Evil' theory is pretty clumsy, wounding and offensive to many others who share this planet.

Just don't like his style!
Back to top Go down
http://www.robbleech.com

PostSubject: Re: Paranormal Entity Movie   Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 9:22 pm

I don't think he's vicious, he's just asking people who belong to a religion to explain why. To justify why their opinion on 'truth' carries any more validity than his.

He's really no more condescending than any religious figure or cult member, when people can't find an answer to his questions they feel like he's attacking. It says a lot about the strength they have in their faith if it can be so easily rattled. I also don't think he's ever suggested Atheists have moral superiority, rather just challenging the fact every religious sect seems to collectively assume that they do - just because they believe in a god.
Back to top Go down
Robb
Robb

PostSubject: Re: Paranormal Entity Movie   Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 10:51 pm

Sorry to quote!

'He's really no more condescending than any religious figure or cult
member'

This is kind of my point!

Personally I am quite anti-religious, my step brother is actually an extremist and even at a C of E primary school as a child I never fell for the whole man in the clouds routine!

But I do believe that Dawkin's is just as bad as some of his opponents, based on my own judgement and experience!

I guess we disagree, but It's great that you have an opinion, it matters!

Here is a video debate between Dawkins and a guy called John Lennox, its quite interesting and worth a watch, both make good arguments:

http://fixed-point.org/index.php/video/35-full-length/164-the-dawkins-lennox-debate

Robb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paranormal Entity Movie   Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 11:21 pm

I haven't seen this debate, thankyou for the link. I suppose we do disagree, because I find him inspiring and astute. Of his, I have only read The God Delusion, but am trying to acquire his other books.
Back to top Go down
Robb
Robb

PostSubject: Re: Paranormal Entity Movie   Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Yeah, I think at the end of the day he's a bit like marmite, you either love him or you hate him!

Me and my Dad are forever debating Dawkinism!!!

Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 Icon_surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paranormal Entity Movie   Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Lol, a bit like Marmite. I'm one of those confused people, I'm not sure if I do love or hate Marmite - I wouldn't buy it and never think 'I fancy some Marmite', but if someone else made Marmite on toast I might eat some.

I do love Dawkins, though Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paranormal Entity Movie   Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Ok I tried to watch Paranormal Entity lastnight and managed about 20 minutes before turning it off. Was just rubbish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paranormal Entity Movie   Paranormal Entity Movie - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Paranormal Entity Movie
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2